Inspired by: Brazilian Bacalhoada
1 lb. of salted cod ( when purchasing your salted cod stay away from the less expensive package with strips of cod instead of the filet of cod. These strips of cod usually contain a lot of bones and literally ruins the entire meal.)
4 slices of bacon
3 bulb green onions or barbecue green onions
1 lb. bag of mini mix bell peppers
2 scallions thinly cut
½ cup of chopped parsley
½ cup of chopped cilantro
2 ribs of celery
1 long cucumber
1 whole jalapeno
Ingredients for the dressing:
¼ cup (good) Balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp. of lemon juice
1 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tbsp. wine vinegar
¼ of cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp. stone ground mustard
2 tbsp. Honey
2 minced garlic gloves
1 tsp. of dry flake chili peppers
1 tsp. dry basil
1 tsp. of dry oregano
¼ tsp. of sea salt
A night before preparation and consumption:
1) After removing the cod from the package wash off the salt from the filets before soaking the fish into a 2.5 quarts or larger container with cold water. Place the container into the fridge during the entire soaking process and change the water at least 3 times before cooking the cod on the next day.
Preparing your cod fish salad:
1) Slice the bulb green onion and place it in a frying pan with a 1 tbsp. of olive oil on low to medium heat and watch it until its caramelized. Let it cool and move the onions into the large salad bowl.
2) Clean and split the mini bell peppers in quarters lengthwise. Place the mini bell peppers in a hot frying pan with a 1 tbsp. of olive oil and quickly stir fry it for about 5 minutes on high heat; you want the peppers to still hold their crisp texture.
Cooking the ingredients by itself helps it to preserve its unique flavor.
3) Slice the celery, jalapeno and cucumber in half lengthwise and then chop them in small pieces and place it in a large salad bowl.
4) Remove the cod from the soaked water, wash it again and place it in a pan with enough boiling water to cover it and cook the cod for about 8 minutes. Remove from the pot. Let it cool before you can handle on top of paper towels.
5) Place 4 slices of bacon in a frying pan over medium heat and watch it for crispy bacon. Remove from the pan. Let it cool before handling on top of paper towels.
6) Combine all the dressing ingredients in a medium size bowl and whisk to combine the ingredients.
Taste the dressing it should be overpowering very hot, tangy and sweet.
7) Now let’s put it all together: add the mini peppers into the salad bowl. Shred the cod fish with your hands also removing any bones you may find and chop the bacon in pieces of about 1” or smaller and place all into the salad bowl. Pour the dressing into the bowl stir it all around and let it sit for a half of a hour before serving. Add the chopped parsley, scallions and cilantro before serving.
2) Entrée – Makes 4/5 entrées depending on the appetite.
3) Salad on top of crusty bread makes a great appetizer.
4) Serve with very cold beer.
FOOD DISCLAIMER:This recipe does not take into consideration for any possible food allergy, digestive problems or any other physical problem one may have regarding consumption of food. Therefore, you are responsible for what you eat.
The following gadgets can inspire and make cooking easier
Available on Amazon.com
Stainless Steel 4-Piece 8 Quart Pasta Cooker Steamer Multipots
Great to help clean artichokes and remove cucumber seeds
Wusthof Classic 6-Inch Chef’s Knife
Recipes | International Flavors
International Cookbook Reviews