Portion feeds: one
1 large dry sea scallop
4 fresh basil leaves
2 fresh mint leaves
1 red bell pepper
2 tbsp. of olive oil
1 pinch of red chili pepper flakes
¼ tsp. of Chinese five spices
1 small glove of garlic – chopped small
1 shallot – chopped small
½ cup of white wine
1 tbsp. of salted butter
½ tbsp. of sugar
1 tbsp. of olive oil
1) Use your favorite way to roast and clean a red bell pepper. Do not slice the pepper after roasting.
2) Place a frying pan over medium to high heat with 1 tbsp. of olive oil. Season both sides of the scallop with salt and black pepper before placing the scallops in a hot frying pan. You want to see the bottom of the scallops caramelize before you flip to the other sides. After you have the top, bottom and sides of the scallops caramelized, remove the scallop from the heat and place it over a paper towel.
3) On the same pan, add another tbsp. of olive oil, shallots, garlic, salt, red chili pepper flakes, ¼ tsp. of Chinese five spices. Stir until the garlic turns golden brown then add the white wine, ½ tbsp. of sugar. Bring it to a boiled and let the wine reduce to ½ before whisk in the salted butter to thicken the sauce and set aside.
4) Cut a piece of the brie about the same size of the scallop. Remove the rind of the brie. Cut the brie in small pieces before adding it to the food processor with 4 large leaves of basil. Process until you get a paste texture with tiny lumps. It should also turn green. Remove the mixture from the food processor and set aside.
5) Cut the roasted bell pepper into pieces about the same size as the scallop.
6) Bring the scallop on to a cutting board and slice it in half. Like making a sandwich, place ½ of the scallops on the board. Place the roasted red pepper on top of the scallop and then the cheese mixture. Close with the other ½ of the scallop.
Place about 2 tbsp. of the sauce on top of the scallops and garnish the scallops with paper thin slices of mint. Enjoy it with a glass of light red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Substitute the scallops for an eggplant.
This recipe does not take into consideration for any possible food allergy, digestive problems or any other physical problem one may have regarding consumption of food. Therefore, you are responsible for what you eat.
Copyright© Edge of Humanity LLC 2019