Portion feeds: 3
Jumbo Udon Japanese style noodles 7oz. serving package
8 oz. of button mushrooms
8 oz. of bean sprouts
1 14 oz. can of Coconut milk
½ lb. of shrimp – clean the shrimp and use the shells for the fish stock
½ lb. of mahi-mahi – cut in cubes
12 small clams – scrubbed clean
½ lb. of calamari – sliced
2 small carrots cut in 1” pieces
3 ribs of celery cut in 1” pieces
½ of a red onion chopped
4 whole crushed garlic
3 small bay leaves
6 cups of water
Use fish head or seafood shells for stock: Stay away from the very fishy like mackerel and salmon.
2.5 tbsp. of lemon juice
2 whole Thai chilies sliced in half lengthwise
2 tbsp. of soy sauce
1 tbsp. of fish sauce
2 tsp. of sugar
4 garlic cloves – chopped very small
4 stalks of lemongrass – pound the lemongrass with your meat mallet or the back of your knife. Cut the lemongrass into large pieces so it’s easier to remove from the pan later. Lemongrass is not edible.
Cilantro and scallions
1) In a medium size pan combine all the stock ingredients and bring to a boil. Then turn the heat down, cover and let it simmer for 30 minutes.
2) Remove all the solids from the stock. Add all the stock seasoning ingredients to the pan containing the stock liquid and let it simmer for another 15 minutes.
3) Remove the lemongrass from the seasoned stock and discard it.
All the ingredients of this soup cook very quickly so the soup is mounted inside of the soup serving bowl as follows:
4) Place the beam sprouts in the bottom of the bowl.
5) Put the mushrooms into the pan containing the boiling seasoned stock. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes. Remove the mushrooms and place them into the soup bowl containing the beam sprouts.
6) In a medium sauce pan boil enough water to cook the Udon noodles. Udon noodles cook in an instant. Keeping the high heat, place the noodles into boiled water and using a fork help the noodles to separate from each other. It will take about a minute. Do not overcook Udon noodles. Strain the water from noodles and place noodles inside of the serving soup bowl, on top of the mushrooms.
If there is a seasoning package with your Udon noodles, put it aside. You will not need this seasoning package for this recipe.
7) On high heat, place the clams into the pan containing the boiling seasoned stock. Cover and let cook for 5 minutes. Add the remaining seafood for another 5 minutes. Remove the seafood from the stock and place it on the soup serving bowl (on top of the Udon noodles), discard the clams that did not open.
8) Garnish with scallions and cilantro.
9) Add the coconut milk to the stock and bring it to a boil. Pour the seasoned stock with coconut milk on top of the ingredients in your soup serving bowl and the soup is ready.
Serving options: This soup goes great with Japanese beer like Sapporo Draft.
This recipe does not take into consideration for any possible food allergy, digestive problems or any other physical problem one may have regarding consumption of food. Therefore, you are responsible for what you eat.
Copyright© Edge of Humanity LLC 2019