Portion feeds: One
2 Asian eggplants – Shaped straight, the curve shaped eggplants are difficult to handle.
1 small lobster
Extra virgin olive oil
Kebab sticks soaked in water
1 pinch of red chili pepper flakes
¼ tsp. of Chinese five spices
1 small glove of garlic – chopped small
1 shallot – chopped small
½ cup of white wine
1 tbsp. of salted butter
½ tbsp. of sugar
1 tbsp. of olive oil
Sauce: In a saucepan, add a tbsp. of olive oil, shallots, garlic, salt, red chili pepper flakes, ¼ tsp. of Chinese five spices. Stir until the garlic turns golden brown then add the white wine, and ½ tbsp. of sugar. Bring to a boil and let the wine reduce to ½ before whisking in the salted butter to thicken the sauce and set aside.
1) Remove the skin of 2 Asian eggplants.
2) Place a large frying pan over medium to low heat. Add the 2 whole eggplants along with 1 tbsp. of olive oil and let it cook slowly. When the eggplant caramelizes it’s time to flip them around until the entire eggplant is caramelized. The eggplant will need more olive oil as it caramelizes. Cover with foil but do not seal. After the eggplant is caramelized, remove from the heat and let the eggplant rest and cool.
3) Slice a small raw lobster in half lengthwise leaving the tail holding the lobster together. Do not cut the lobster in two halves.
4) On the cutting board, place the twine and sticks.
5) Place 1 eggplant on top of the 2 sticks and twist the raw lobster around the eggplant placing the tail of the lobster in the middle of the eggplant.
6) Place the second eggplant on top of the twist and twist gently again.
7) Place another two sticks on top of the twist and gently tie all together. Start from the middle and work your way out. This will prevent the lobster from curling.
8) Place the twist on a non-stick baking sheet and in a 450°F oven for 5 minutes uncovered, or until the lobster is cooked to your taste. Remove from the oven and let it rest.
9) Carefully remove the twine and stick. Gently move the twist onto a serving plate. Add the juice from the baking sheet into the sauce. Add the sauce to the twist. Garnish the twist with cilantro leaves. You may also bypass the sauce and use soy sauce or Ponzu sauce instead.
Enjoy it with a light wine such as Pinot Noir or cold beer.
This recipe does not take into consideration for any possible food allergy, digestive problems or any other physical problem one may have regarding consumption of food. Therefore, you are responsible for what you eat.
Copyright© Edge of Humanity LLC 2020